When I bought my Sony Ericsson K700i I realized that Sony Ericsson no longer include the XTND connect sync software but instead their own PC Suite/Sync Station which is much more limited in terms of how you can select what you want to have synchronized to your mobile phone. I know that the same problem exists for P800/P900/P910 and many PDAs and other mobile phones.
My contacts list in Outlook contain many hundred contacts, both business and private, many of which I haven't used in years. So for me the biggest limitation was that I was not able to select what contacts I wanted to have synchronized. The solution to my problem was this piece of software I call the Contacts Synchronizer.
Even if Contacts Synchronizer is developed for use with a Sony Ericsson K700i it is generic and should work with any other mobile phones or PDAs such as Nokia, Siemens, Motorola, LG, Samsung.
How it works|
It's easy as 1-2-3:
1. In Outlook you categorize all contacts you would like to synchronize to your mobile phone, e.g. "Mobile contact" category. (In Outlook you add categories either in the bottom right corner of a contact card or Edit + Categories from the view)
2. Run the Contacts Synchronizer. It will copy all contacts that you have categorized to a new contacts folder, e.g. "Mobile Contacts".
3. Run the sync software that was included with your mobile phone or PDA. In it select that you want to synchronize against the new folder that Contacts Synchronizer created ("Mobile Contacts").
Download free trial
Click the download button to the right to go to the download screen at download.com. |
This will download a single msi file (Microsoft Installer) that will let you install Contacts Synchronizer on your computer. The msi file also includes an uninstall program. If you should wish to uninstall Contacts Synchronizer, simply go to Windows Control panel and select Add/Remove programs. The free trial version is limitied to synchronizing 25 contacts.
Current version is 1.8.
License and Registration
By providing the Contacts Synchronizer as shareware I hope to help others with the same problem.
You are welcome to try it out for free but if you find it useful please show your appreciation by paying the license fee of USD 19.95.
If you pay the license you will also ge rid of the "Not registered" splash screen and the 25 contacts limitation. |
I'm using PayPal for secure payments. If you don't already have a PayPal account you can sign up for free. Click the button to the left or follow this link to PayPal
Contacts Synchronizer has been tested on Windows XP and Outlook 2003 but should work fine on other versions too. If you have successfully (or unsuccessfully) used it on other versions of Windows and Outlook, please let me know and I will update this page.
Contacts Synchronizer requires Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 or higher, which all computers running Windows 2000 or XP should already have installed. Click here for more information on the .NET Framework
Even if Contacts Synchronizer is developed for use with a Sony Ericsson K700i it is generic and should work with any other mobile phone or PDA manufacturers such as Nokia, Siemens, Motorola, LG, Samsung.
Limitations and Future enhancements
When I have the time, no guarantees...
- Currently only one way syncronization is performed, ie contacts are being copied each time Contacts Synchronizer is run. Update to phone numbers etc. made in your phone will be overwritten by what is stored in Outlook.
- Enhancement: Have the Contacts Synchronizer run automatically once every week, 24 hours, 5 minutes or whatever you choose.
- Save settings. Currently settings made cannot be saved.
- Enhancement: Synchronize with Lotus Notes Domino - many mobile phones and PDAs include sync software for Outlook but not Lotus Notes Domino. Supporting Notes would allow these users to sync their contacts to Outlook and then on to their phone or PDA. (I use both Notes and Outlook myself)
You can contact me at email firstname.lastname@example.org.
However I must warn that I will respond to your email when there is time so please be prepared to wait.
Back to www.tjitjing.com